CCTVs have become such an essential part of security in Hong Kong. Digital surveillance is a necessity with the need for documentation and recording. Find out everything you need to know about CCTV cameras below.
Video Resolution:2688 × 1520Pixels
Video Frame Rate:30fps
Video Frame Rate:30fps
Top CCTV Cameras Price List 2021
|Top 10 products||Price||Store|
|Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-I||HK$ 17.05||NewEgg|
|Hikvision DS-2CE56C0T-IT3||HK$ 498.00||EasyTalk|
|Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW||HK$ 1,150.00||EasyTalk|
|Dahua 2PM Full HD Small Eyeball||HK$ 307.46||Amazon|
|Hikvision DS-2CD3410FD-IW||HK$ 658.00||EasyTalk|
|Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-I 8 Units||HK$ 9,330.94||Amazon|
|Jovision USA, Inc. jovision 720p dome ip camera network p2p indoor security weather resistant night vision cctv hd camera (jvs-n3dl-hg-12v)||HK$ 111.94||NewEgg|
|Nexanic 10 inch Monitor IPS 2560x1600 UHD 16:10 400cd/m2 1000:1 Game Display Dual HDMI Input for PC DVD PS3 PS4 Xbox One Xbox360 CCTV Camera Laptop||HK$ 128.79||NewEgg|
|Intech KKmoon 1080P AHD Bullet CCTV Analog Camera Manual Zoom Lens 1/3"for Sony CMOS IR LEDS Night Vision Weatherproof Indoor Outdoor Security NTSC System||HK$ 88.50||NewEgg|
|Nexanic 13.3 inch FHD 1920x1080 Monitor 1080P IPS Gaming Display Dual HDMI Input for PC DVD PS3 PS4 Xbox One Xbox360 CCTV Camera Laptop||HK$ 136.79||NewEgg|
In Hong Kong, many of us are used to seeing things happen on CCTVs. Particularly a robbery, theft, or accident, CCTVs become some of the most useful forms of documentation of evidence. CCTV videos are so popular that there are even YouTube channels catered to CCTV viewers. Closed Circuit Television cameras, as they are called, offer to complete the package of home, office, or outdoor security systems. When people know that they are being watched, there is a lower chance of delinquent behaviour. So what do you do? You can increase security and conduct live security surveillance with minimal effort by installing a CCTV around your property.
Why You Need A CCTV Camera
Still wondering why you need a CCTV? It’s simple – CCTVs tend to ward off delinquent behaviour thanks to an effect called the Hawthorne Effect. The Hawthorne Effect, otherwise known as the Observer Effect, happens when a person is aware that he or she is being monitored. The individual will change his or her behaviour to suit the person who is watching them. In the case of CCTVs, often, a person will be deterred from doing wrong if a camera is present in the vicinity.
Fun fact: The Hawthorne Effect can also be seen when taking photos. Most people will strike a pose as soon as the camera is facing them.
Here are some additional reasons as to why you might consider setting up a CCTV system in Hong Kong:
- Documentation – to record any misdemeanour or crime in the vicinity to ensure others' safety
- Record-keeping – to keep track of date and time (especially when travelling)
- Time-lapse – to view progress over a day/month/year
Now that you are convinced to get a CCTV camera system, let’s look at some steps on how to choose the right CCTV.
Determine what it is you are trying to monitor. Monitoring indoor would require a different system as compared to outdoor. How large is the space you are filming? Larger areas may need to use zooming capabilities. You can also get CCTV's with built-in memory cards.
- Do your cameras need to be hidden or not? If you’re trying to catch a known thief, you might want to use an inconspicuous one.
- How many cameras do you need? To monitor a few places around your property, you might need a few cameras strategically set in place to capture different areas at the same time.
- What is the light condition like where you plan to mount the CCTV camera?
- What basic features you are looking for in a CCTV? Some CCTVs points to consider are colour, pixel resolution and definition of the image, connection and storage of the data, motion detection, night vision and weather protection.
These are just some steps to consider when choosing a CCTV camera system.
Many organisations now require that CCTV video images are recorded and archived continuously from all cameras for 90 days and more. In large systems, this can create a significant storage requirement. This is compounded by users wanting to store video at the highest quality (1080p, 4MP, 5MP, 4K) and maximum frame rate, particularly where CCTV footage is required for evidential purposes.
What does CCTV mean?
CCTV stands for closed-circuit television and is also known as a surveillance camera. It is a private security camera generally used for the purpose of surveillance for a particular property or an open area.
Does CCTV camera work without electricity?
Some surveillance cameras do work with electricity, while some others do not, depending on their model. Many CCTV cameras run on camera, so they will cease functioning if a power disruption takes place. There are surveillance cameras that will continue running even without electricity, such as those that are battery-powered and wireless, solar-powered, or come with back-up generators. Keep in mind though, just because your surveillance camera is wireless, it's not necessarily powered by a battery.
- Battery Powered Cameras - Security cameras running on batteries to record motion once PIR sensor is triggered
- 4G LTE Cameras - Security cameras functioning on 4G LTE data with a SIM card to record motion activities
- PTZ CCTV Cameras - Security cameras that enable automatically pan, tilt and optical zoom functions
- Dome Cameras - Security cameras with dome shape cover (fixed lens or zoom lens)
- Wireless Cameras - Security cameras that send data wirelessly yet need one cable for power
- Bullet Cameras - Security cameras with rifle bullet shape (fixed lens or zoom lens)
Which CCTV camera is best for night vision?
Best Night-time Security Cameras
- Dahua Bullet with night colour technology
- Reolink Argus 2
- Hikvision Bullet full-time colour camera
- Lorex 4KIP Bullet camera
- SMONET wireless security camera
Which is better: wired or wireless security cameras?
The best advantage of wireless security cameras is that their installation is much easier than wired cameras. The most you need to do is mount them to a suitable wall or ceiling using a drill, but otherwise, there's minimal installation – just plug it in and connect it to your Wi-Fi network using the camera's smartphone app.
How does motion detection work with CCTV cameras and systems
The camera images that the DVR monitors decides when there is possible movement. The DVR does this by comparing with footage from before to differentiate between still and movement. You are able to set and limit where on the screen the DVR catches movements. This helps minimise false alarms.
Your CCTV should be checked at least once a month. If your CCTV is placed at an outdoor location that may be prone to damages, it is best to check on it weekly to ensure it is functioning well and keeping your property area secure and protected.
Checklist for CCTV maintenance
- Ensure that nothing is blocking the line of sight of the lens such as dust, an object, etc.
- Check whether the lenses are focused and in range.
- Cameras are attached firmly to the wall and are placed at a high location.
- Check on motion detection features.
- wires are intact.
- Check image and sound quality.
- The power supply to the device is working and switched on.
- Control equipment such as a computer, monitor, etc are functioning well.
- Time and date stamps are accurate.