A bar of soap may seem harmless but there are certain chemicals used in the manufacturing process that can strip the skin of all its natural oils. These soaps will actually leave your skin dry, cracked, and patchy instead of cleaning and preserving the wellness of your skin like what soaps are supposed to do.
Fortunately, natural bar soaps are starting to emerge in the market. They are made with natural ingredients and essential oils that can help restore the beauty of the skin. Whether it’s homemade soap or store-bought natural store, you should consider replacing your regular bar soaps with natural bar soaps instead.
Why natural bar soaps are good for you
In a nutshell, you should think of it this way: commercial soaps contain chemicals that can trigger reactions for those with sensitive skin and dry out the skin without a proper moisturizing regimen after usage. Soaps are not supposed to do that; they are meant to rub away dirt and pollution so that you don’t spread bacteria on your clothes, beds, and other surfaces. Natural bar soaps are made with healthy oils, essential oils, along with other organic and natural ingredients that can aid the skin in its restorative process.
Still not convinced? Commercial soaps contain the following substances that can have negative side effects in the long run.
- Parabens: chemical preservatives usually found in soaps, makeup, skin care, and other beauty products.
- Phthalates: this chemical can expose you to the risk of getting cancer. It is also used as a plasticizer, an important element to produce plastic.
- Synthetic perfume: artificial scents that can trigger allergic reactions and hormonal issues like acne.
- Petrochemicals: chemicals made from petroleum. Just because petroleum jelly is beneficial for you, doesn’t mean that petrochemicals should be used in beauty products.
- Artificial coloring: dyes derived from artificial sources. It can possibly cause health problems and skin conditions.
The best bar soaps with natural ingredients
The bar soaps below are made with essential oils and substances derived from natural ingredients. They are meant to moisturize, hydrate, and even exfoliate the skin and face.
- Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Shea Butter Soap – contains coconut oil, coconut milk, papaya enzymes, shea and coconut butter, and vitamin E.
- L’occitane Shea Butter Extra Gentle Soap – comes in the variety of verbena, milk, lavender. Contains no BHA, BHT, formaldehyde, or parabens.
- Aveda Rosemary Mint Bar – uses glycerin, lavender oil, peppermint oil, rosemary extract, menthol, and sodium palmate (palm oil).
- Dr. Bronner’s Organic Pure-Castile Soap – biodegradable, vegan, gentle and versatile; can be used to wash the face, body, and hair. Comes in the scents of citrus, peppermint, almond, tea tree, rose, lavender, eucalyptus, and unscented.
- Fresh Citron De Vigne Oval Soap – this vegetable-based soap contains moisturizing shea butter and infused with Champagne-inspired scent.
- Indigo Wild Zum Bar Soap – made with goat’s milk base combined with essential oils and mineral pigments. You can find oils like olive, coconut, palm, and castor in this natural soap.