A thermometer is one of the most important medical supplies to have at home. It can help detect whether you or your family members are having a fever and alert you to seek medical attention immediately. Check out our wide variety of thermometers below and read our tips for choosing the right thermometer.
Top Trending in Thermometers
Top Thermometers Price List 2021
Each thermometer works differently depending on who will be using the thermometer, as well as what it will be used for, the thermometer you choose might surprise you.
Types of Thermometers in Hong Kong
There are five types of thermometers and each one of them looks and operates vastly different from each other.
How It’s Used
Mercury Glass Thermometer
Quite old fashioned, mercury glass thermometers are made using mercury. One of the biggest reasons that it isn’t as widely used these days is due to the risk it possesses, in that it can be broken and the mercury inside is toxic.
Another reason it is no longer in use that the measurements are quite hard to read.
One of the earliest thermometers, it measures temperatures through the rectum, mouth, or in the armpit/underarm.
Electronic Digital Thermometer
Obviously preferred over mercury glass thermometers, electronic digital thermometers are much safer and have quite a few advantages over glass thermometers.
The readings obtained using an electronic digital thermometer appear much faster, and as it is digital, is much easier to read.
This is the faster type of thermometer, taking only seconds to obtain and provide a reading.
It measures the heat generated by surfaces.
It is also one of the more expensive types of thermometer out there.
Infrared Ear Thermometer
Similar to an infrared thermometer, an infrared ear thermometer is used inside the eardrum and measures the heat generated in there and in the surrounding tissue.
The readings obtained are accurate, fast, and are extremely easy to read on the thermometers digital display.
Infrared Forehead Thermometer
Also, similar to the infrared thermometer, instead of measuring temperature from the eardrum, the infrared forehead thermometer takes temperatures using the forehead.
Measuring the infrared energy emitted from the forehead, this thermometer is quite gentle and is one of the best thermometers for infants.
The heat generated from the forehead is converted into a temperature value and its accuracy depends on its operation and manufacturer. But its accuracy is clinically proven.
Different Ways to Take Your Temperature
There are plenty of different ways that temperature can be taken using thermometers, but the most common methods are through the ears, mouth, forehead, rectum, and underarm. Depending on the method the temperature is taken, its accuracy may be inconsistent, and it also depends on whether the method of executed properly.
- Ear – Many prefer this method, but its results are often inconsistent. When measuring through the ear, you should measure the same ear each time.
- Mouth – Holding the tip of the thermometer in your mouth, you will need to hold the thermometer steadily. Ensure that you haven’t had a cold drink before taking your temperature.
- Forehead – There are different types of forehead thermometers, so make sure to read the manual for the proper use. One kind needs to be pressed against the forehead for the body temperature to be taken, and the other lets you hover the thermometer over the forehead.
- Rectum – Usually used for babies and infants, the thermometer, usually a mercury glass one, will be inserted into the child’s rectum and the temperature is taken from there.
- Underarm – Merely tuck the thermometer under the arm without clothes in the way and press your arm so that the thermometer is held in place.
Can a smartphone be used as a thermometer?
With the right app, your smartphone can function as a thermometer using your device’s built-in temperature sensor. However, even if your mobile device is not equipped with a temperature sensor, there are still ways to get a decent temperature reading for the surrounding air.
What is the most accurate thermometer for adults?
- iProven DMT-489: Pulling double duty as both an ear and forehead thermometer, the iProven DMT-489 offers fast and reliable readings. With an easy-to-read, colour-coded display that takes the guesswork out of classifying a fever.
- Braun ThermScan 7: This infrared thermometer makes it easy to measure the temperature of infants under one month old, all the way up to adults. The thermometer stores up to four recent readings and takes your body temperature in just a few seconds.
What is the best thermometer for home use?
The best thermometers help you monitor your family members’ temperatures from the comfort of your home so you know whether to seek medical care of simply wait for fevers to break. It must be easy to use, fast and accurate. You can check out Innovo Forehead and Ear thermometer and also the Braun No-Touch Forehead thermometer.